Or register as a Senior or Junior

Croydon 1 roar back with close win over Bec 2

After last week's disappointment Croydon 1 took on Bec 2 away at St Mary's College with some changes to the team, in came Dan Pratt for Dave Butters down one end and Julia Johnson for the injured Sarah Withers down the other.

Bec 2 started the faster with Ingmar Evers rolling back the years to score from distance but Zak Omar was clinical in the free-pass to get the visitors going. After the change around Ian Buckle scored a bizarre goal: the post span round wildly but somehow the ball still went in. It was the in-form Johnson who replied for Croydon with a sneaky, opportunistic goal after the ball bounced off the front of the basket: 2-all.

Croydon were creating chances and referee More awarded the South London side a penalty but Pratt's attempt bobbled out and the chance was missed. The teams then equalled themselves out for the next 7 minutes with neither able to trouble the scorers. Eventually Bec were awarded a free-pass and Evers made no mistake from the spot. It was crucial Croydon stayed in the match at this point and so they did with Omar scoring from under the post. Croydon then took the lead after captain Anna Jeanes scored her first free-pass of the season but Buckle netted from down-town to bring the sides level again at 4-all.

Again a period of stalemate ensued but as time ran out Jeanes was adjudged to have fouled her player under the post, Evers made no mistake with the penalty and then Andy Withers conceded a running in shot after a mix-up from an Evers shot. Half time score: 6-4.

Croydon needed to get back into the game in the 2nd half and it was Ellis who scored from distance but Bec restored their lead with a longshot of their own. Pratt was having one of those days in attack - he was carving out little chances for himself but unfortunately for the visitors none were quite falling in but he was successful from the spot as More gave a penalty for a foul by Hannah Evans' opponent. The teams again were deadlocked for 10 minutes before long shots were exchanged: 8-7.

Buckle was awarded a penalty but crucially he missed with an really ugly attempt and Croydon had a reprieve. Tempers were getting frayed as Bec's aggressive approach continued but after a Croydon time-out the visitors knew what they had to do in the final 10 minutes of the match. Soon after Ellis netted from distance and the scores were level. Stuart Ironmonger was brought to get Bec the goal they needed but he was well marshalled and down the other end, Omar and Pratt were stretching the Bec defence with flat balls across the section. This finally paid off as More awarded his fifth and final penalty and this time Pratt made no mistake. Bec had a minute or so to reply but the defence held firm throughout and time ran out with a Croydon win.

Croydon have tended to lose tight games in recent seasons so this was an encouraging result and performance for the team especially given the changes from last week. There were times when the scoreboard failed to tick over as in recent weeks but they kept in touch with Bec 2 throughout and showed great spirit at the end to tough it out.

Special mention for the star sub, Oscar, who was ready to come on when needed, he wasn't "going to shoot much just pass the ball around". Daddy would have been proud.

Match Report by Andy | Updated by Andy
  of 13 

Final Score: Bec 2 8 vs 9 Croydon 1

V Ellis

Z Omar

D Pratt

A Withers

A Jeanes

J Johnson

G Codd

H Evans

Submitted by Andy | Scoring Breakdown |

Croydon 2 lose out to sharp shooting Trojans 2

Match report not written yet

Final Score: Trojans 2 26 vs 8 Croydon 2

B Hale

A Champion

P Lindsey

E Chaney

B Pratt

K James

L MacKay-Elliott

Z Shewell

Submitted by Sicknote | Scoring Breakdown |

Croydon 3 outgunned at Highbury 2

A long and rather wet trip to Leyton ended in defeat for Croydon 3, who struggled to cope with the aggressive interception defence of a strong and disciplined (and VERY tall) Highbury 2 side at an, as ever, freezing cold SCORE venue.

Croydon started with Charlotte, Lynda, Steve and Andy in attack, while Smiffy, Mark, Mandy and Steph made up the defensive line. The first half was a series of frustrations for Croydon, as poor passing and one or two poor bits of finishing saw them go scoreless, while the hosts racked up 7 goals. However, heads weren't dropping and everyone showed good fighting qualities in defence.

A half time team talk that focussed on staying positive, using the dummy pass and, above all, fighting right through to the end, paid dividends. In particular, Lynda 'worked out' her player and twice managed to draw her out of poisiton to turn and score from under the post - she also drew the penalty which Andy converted to keep the score respectable.

In the end, however, the thirds struggled to put Highbury's shots under enough pressure and also in coping with the fact that, player-for-player, I believe we were all shorter that our opponents, who utilised this to intercept well and pressure the passes out of defence.

Positives to be taken from the game: the fighting spirit that prevailed through to the end of the match; a good 'first step up' from Charlotte; a vastly improved second half performance. Negatives: we need to work on our passing and collecting under pressure. Most importantly, this game served to illustrate the need to settle on a consistent third team and get them training and playing together as often as possible. It was notable that, whenever a Highbury move broke down, they were able to revert instantly to four:zero and regain their equilibrium - we had no such organisation and couldn't match them.

Good effort by all though, up against a more-than-decent Highbury 2.

Match Report by Smiffy

Final Score: Highbury 2 12 vs 3 Croydon 3

A Burnham

S Chadd

M Irving

D Smith

L Barker

C Feakins

A Furlano

S Robinson

Submitted by Smiffy | Scoring Breakdown |